VISITS

Monday 4 April 2011

St. James's Church


Thank you to Heidi Chester for this photo of St. James’s Church in George Street. Heidi thinks the 3 storey house on the left is still there (No.9?). It is from a postcard and the post mark indicates a date of 1924.
St. James’s church was a chapel of ease to the Parish Church. The foundation stone was laid on St. James’s Day 1861 and it occupied two years building. It was opened for public worship on 24th August 1864. It was built in the Gothic style and was designed by Mr. G. Hackford, Westminster, hon. Architect.
I remember during the 1960’s little dances were held there called “Bob hops” due to the fact that it cost a shilling (a Bob) to get in, I also remember a Youth Club being held there where I first heard “Come on” (the Rolling Stones first ever record) which made me a life-long fan of the Stones!! Happy days. I think it was demolished in 1969 but am not certain.
The same view today, looking from Fydell Crescent toward the old Wickes's store.
  

4 comments:

  1. I remember as a child, going to Staniland school, that we used to go over to the hall behind the church for our school lunches, and also used another hall behind the church to do music and movement to a crackly record player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in that house to the left between 1983 -2000. I never knew this church was there before P&O was and also Wickes. And today 20/12/20 I’ve only just found out the name of the church

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in that house to the left between 1983 -2000. I never knew this church was there before P&O was and also Wickes. And today 20/12/20 I’ve only just found out the name of the church

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Staniland Primary which was opposite and remember gym classes taking place in the church hall.

    ReplyDelete